Friday, July 04, 2008

Freedom. Who needs it?

Of course I had to write today. It is the entire premise of this blog and our site. Thought I'd take a moment and opine about what freedom really means.

If you have interest in this blog then I have to assume that you value freedom over security. Entrepeneurs crave freedom like they crave oxygen. The only true financial freedom, to my mind, is having income from multiple sources come in on a regular basis. Employees want the security of a paycheck, the security of a job. Which is really an oxymoron since jobs can disappear in an instant while a well established income stream (especially from investment property) will continue indefinitely.

I have a friend who made a very nice living selling software. His company was bought by another and within 3 months he was laid off. Fortunately, he had already started down the path of real estate and is looking to create enough income so he will not have to find another job. Ever.

Clearly freedom has as many meanings and nuances as there are people who cherish it. I just wanted to remind you that it is yours for the taking whenever you are ready.

No comments: